2. Daytime napping.
3. Mint chocolate cupcakes and catching up with C.
4. The Baller Mix on Winebar’s new spring menu is kick ass.
5. Watching Mad Men’s season premiere with L and spending at least 2 hours dissecting Joan’s mad skillz.
6. Moving forward.
7. Making it halfway through the HTML/CSS coding chapter on Code Academy.
8. Sunshine has finally come our way!
9. My apartment has been soo clean and tidy :)
10. We are now one week closer to summer! <3
In my free time, I’ve decided to reignite my love of cooking. Don’t worry: I’m not going to stop spending time at my fave restaurants and winebars anytime soon, but spending time in the kitchen is quasi-meditative for me. Washing/chopping/sauteeing/etc. with a glass of wine or bourbon and my favourite Songza playlist in the background is as close as I’ll ever get to any kind of spiritual ritual (see: my hatred for yoga).
I’m in a period of renewal in my life career-wise, and so I thought I would extend that theme to the kitchen. Enter Chatelaine’s fresh spring pasta recipes. I rarely make pasta, which is a shame because it’s a super simple way to create a comforting, nutritious, and delicious dish.
I chose their pasta with spicy gremolata shrimp, mostly because I LOVE shrimp. It came together really quickly, only dirtied a couple of dishes, and was the perfect accompaniment to a slightly snowy but totally cozy spring day.
Fettucine with Spicy Gremolata Shrimp (reproduced from Chatelaine.com)
Makes 3 servings
- 340g package frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed
- 1 large lemon
- 1 small bunch asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large jalapeno, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 450g package fettucine or linguine
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
1. Thaw shrimp following package directions. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, finely grate about 1 tbsp (15 mL) peel and squeeze 3 tbsp (45 mL) juice from lemon. Snap tough ends from asparagus and discard. Slice spears into bite-sized pieces. Prepare jalapeno and garlic.
2. Cook pasta following package directions until al dente, 7 to 9 min. Add asparagus to pasta for last 2 min of cooking. Scoop out about ¼ cup (50 mL) pasta water before draining pasta and asparagus.
3. Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add shrimp, jalapeno, garlic and salt. Stir-fry until shrimp are pink, 3 to 4 min. Drain pasta and asparagus. Toss with shrimp mixture, remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter, lemon peel and juice, parsley and 2 tbsp (30 mL) pasta water. If dry, stir in more pasta water. Add salt if needed. Serve in large bowls.
When I started dating Mike, he drove a red Ford Festiva with an awesome lightening decal on the side. He taught me that all Festiva drivers have an unspoken rule to always wave at a fellow driver. Although the opportunities are few and we now drive a Focus, we still make a point of waving at our former comrades. :)
An ode to my Saturday morning pilates routine and one of my fave shows.
1. Through all of life’s ups and downs, I have a crew of amazing friends who see me through. <3
2. Double digit sunny weather!
3. My life is starting to feel a lot like the Barre Body Studio tank: Eat, Sleep, Barre, Repeat.
4. Previewing the gorgeous spring collection at Calgary’s newest retail destination, JNBY in the CORE. If you like luxurious natural fabrics and well-designed draping, this is gonna be your newest fave place.
5. Last minute lunch plans with C!
6. Taking chances.
7. Last minute mid-afternoon friend catch ups at the exact moment I needed it.
8. The staff at Winebar continue to make me feel so loved when I go there - seriously love you guys!
9. My apartment is so clean right now. #Kristacation
10. Chocolate chip cookies.
Photograph by Hossein Fatemi from the series, “The Iran That We Never See”
- Beautiful photographs that depict daily life in Iran.
- If Mad Men went on past this year’s final season, we might see more 1970s-style ads like this.
- This would be great for hanging prints and postcards.
1. All the super fab people that I got to hang out with this week. <3
2. An amazing night of scotch and seafood pairings with the coolest chicks in the city, i.e., Femmes Fatales.
3. Fresh flowers in my kitchen :)
4. The sun is finally out and I didn’t wear tights today. Hollah!
5. Lazy Saturdays with L and a few glasses of wine :)
7. I can confirm that Basil Hayden’s is an amazing bourbon.
8. Catching up with my fave ex-co-worker over prosciutto pizza :)
9. A week of opportunities slowly rolling along.
10. Booking a photoshoot with my awesome makeup/hair stylist!